Crimson Leaf LLC

To Create an account: Crimson Leaf Games
The Login has changed PRESS the Log In link below:
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<345
Other games and games-technologies: inspirational reading and viewing
Lucifer
#84 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:38:39 PM(UTC)
Lucifer

Groups: Registered
It did not strike me until just now (WHAP!) that the recent EVE-expansion that restructured the distribution of economically important minerals was similar in several ways to a MWx Reset.

Goonswarm, in particular, performed a carefully-planned, highly-organized scouting exercise, just after the expansion, to locate all the newly-valuable real estate. Sound familiar?

The EVE-expansion was not quite as drastic as a MWx Reset, since all players retained their pre-expansion resources (ships, equipment, Game-cash, industrial installations) and the scouts could pre-position characters before the expansion. Like a MWx Reset, the star locations did not change; only the minerals available in each star system changed.

One imagines a *cough* spectrum *cough* of severities of Game-resets, running from periodic Total Resets like MWx, through partial resets like the recent EVE-expansion, on to never resetting at all. One then imagines making the severity of Game-reset a tunable parameter, so that the Game-operator could maximize profitability by offering similar Games, differing only in reset severity, to different player-market-segments.

This kind of Game-operation might be particularly attractive to players whose Real-Life situations change from time to time: such players could migrate from more-intense to less-intense forms of their favorite Game, and back again, without having to learn a totally new Game-system.
Baltar [horrified]: The Imperious Leader is on Gamorray?

Lucifer [twisting the knife]: I wonder what he will say, when he learns that the base on which he is standing is being destroyed by the two battlestars you had within your grasp only this morning?
Spectrum
#85 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2013 2:54:13 PM(UTC)
Spectrum

Groups: Admin, Administrators, GameOp, Registered
Lucifer;11622 wrote:
One imagines a *cough* spectrum *cough* of severities of Game-resets, running from periodic Total Resets like MWx, through partial resets like the recent EVE-expansion, on to never resetting at all. One then imagines making the severity of Game-reset a tunable parameter, so that the Game-operator could maximize profitability by offering similar Games, differing only in reset severity, to different player-market-segments.

This kind of Game-operation might be particularly attractive to players whose Real-Life situations change from time to time: such players could migrate from more-intense to less-intense forms of their favorite Game, and back again, without having to learn a totally new Game-system.

This is some of my goals with the Academy (which I am working on today)

A player could enjoy some NPC combat alone in 101
A player could get some friends and combat NPC's in 201
A player could get some friends and fight other players in 301
and/or
A player could play a private pm war in 401

All these will create scores that can be tracked and compared with other players.
For the graphical version of MegaWars join us at http://galaxicus.com
1 user thanked Spectrum for this useful post.
Lucifer on 6/9/2013(UTC)
Lucifer
#86 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 11:25:34 PM(UTC)
Lucifer

The JC Penny's Effect

Lucifer [twisting the knife]: I wonder what he will say, when he learns that the base on which he is standing is being destroyed by the two battlestars you had within your grasp only this morning?
Spectrum
#87 Posted : Monday, June 10, 2013 3:15:55 AM(UTC)
Spectrum

Groups: Admin, Administrators, GameOp, Registered
Very good post Lucifer!

Lets follow that up with this one

http://www.youtube.com/w...creen&v=cOIZXxB1nlI

For the graphical version of MegaWars join us at http://galaxicus.com
2 users thanked Spectrum for this useful post.
Lucifer on 6/10/2013(UTC), Starbuck on 6/10/2013(UTC)
Starbuck
#88 Posted : Friday, June 14, 2013 4:14:27 PM(UTC)
ladyswrath

Groups: Admin, Administrators, ForumAdmin, Registered
Spectrum;11636 wrote:
Very good post Lucifer!

Lets follow that up with this one

http://www.youtube.com/w...creen&v=cOIZXxB1nlI

This is very good. Recommended watching for everyone.
101 Lady's Wrath
6616 Starbuck, Harbinger of Death
Lucifer
#89 Posted : Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:43:39 PM(UTC)
Lucifer

Lean Startups and their Minimum Viable Products:

Eric Ries talks really fast, but somehow I still caught a great deal even the first time through. Maybe that he started out as a programmer. I like him! I've watched him twice so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ex0fejo8w

This second one has more autobiography:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXUd7wXrb0Q

In the Q&A, Ries points out that patent law in the US inhibits customer development because "the clock" on patent protection starts on first sharing with anyone, even under non-disclosure, not on first public revelation.

The "Build->Measurement->Feedback Loop" is, of course, the Scientific Method Relabeled -- and the Shewhart-Deming continuous-improvement cycle and John Boyd's OODA Loops. The emphasis on looping faster than your competitors is very like John Boyd's emphasis on operating "inside the enemy's decision cycle".

The very last story, at the end of the Q&A (time 53:55), is priceless.

"If you can out-iterate, you will win, and if you cannot out-iterate, secrecy will not help you."

Lucifer
#90 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:21:42 PM(UTC)
Lucifer

EVE: Valkyrie is coming!

Houston
#91 Posted : Friday, August 23, 2013 10:55:48 PM(UTC)
jpshouston

This forum has been abandoned.
Certified Chaotic Evil